David Smith Workshop Conversion
Bolton Landing, NY
Transformation of an artist’s studio into habitable spaces highlights the building’s complex history, re-opening its relationship with the site’s pond through a contemporary language of materials
The existing one-story 1,750 sf concrete masonry unit (CMU) structure was constructed in stages, first from 1941–1942, and subsequently in 1958 and 1961, as a sculpture studio by the artist David Smith. Beginning in 1974, the building has been renovated several times, to re-purpose it as a living space, interfering with its integrity, through partial and piecemeal repairs.
The current project includes selectively removing alterations, restoring and renovating existing interior spaces, including the addition of a new mezzanine, and the opening of the space towards the site’s existing pond. The improvement of the building’s overall thermal performance is achieved by both exposing historical construction technology and upgrading windows, doors, and walls.
Structural: Donald W. Montgomery
Geothermal: Aztech Geothermal
General Contractor: Moreau Associates
Steel: Bonacio Metals
Millwork: Saranac Hollow Woodworking
Estate of David Smith
National Museum of the 21st Century Arts (MAXXI),
Erasmus Effect: Italian Architects Abroad
Sculpture Studio Historical Photos
MAXXI Exhibition Video
Download Project Page